Strawberry Hill Avenue Bridge Project
Built in 1890, the Strawberry Hill Avenue Railroad Bridge supports four tracks of the New Haven Line (NHL). The bridge replacement falls under the Connecticut of Transportation's (CTDOT) TIME (Track Improvement Mobility Enhancement) program being executed along the NHL to reduce commuter travel times.
The Strawberry Hill Avenue Railroad Bridge project replaces the existing bridge superstructure and updates the
supporting structure underneath while maintaining the current vertical and horizontal clearances.
The superstructure replacement will be built in halves during the construction of the WALK Bridge, allowing work to be performed during planned two-track outages for the WALK Bridge replacement, and are coordinated with the other TIME-2 railroad improvement projects at East Avenue, Fort Point Street, and Osborne Avenue.
Site preparation, mobilization, and support of excavation work started in late 2023. Major construction activities are expected to commence in spring 2024.
- Replacement of the superstructure (the upper portion of the bridge)
- Updates the substructure (the underside of the bridge)
- Maintains existing vertical clearance (9 feet 10 inches)
- 3 updated vertical clearance signs at each approach
- Maintains existing under bridge lighting for safety